Hypnotherapy works by putting you in a deep, relaxed state where your mind is more open to suggestion. At this point suggestions are made to change your thought patterns, such suggestions as 'I am a non-smoker' or 'I eat good healthy foods'.
The idea of hypnosis is still met with scepticism due to misconceptions about what it is. It is useful to know that during hypnosis
• you will always be in control
• you will be in a relaxed state, not asleep
• you will not told to do anything you don't want to do
• you will not have your memory erased
• you will not be forced to reveal your deepest darkest secrets.